|HONOLULU — AIGA Honolulu, the local chapter of the oldest and largest professional association for design, held its 10th “5-0 Competition and Awards Show” on Saturday, October 21, 2017 at the Prince Waikiki. 50 award winners (thus the name “5-O”) were chosen from well over 200 entries by a panel of judges from Tokyo and Los Angeles.
Of the 50 winners, 5 were recognized as the “Top 5”. These Top 5 campaigns paint a diverse picture of excellence in local graphic design and its connection to success in local restaurants, hospitality, events and products. They are:
- Naauao for Moku Kitchen Branding,
- Nella Media Group for the Honolulu Biennial Event Branding and Flux Magazine, and
- Wall-to-Wall Studios for the Surfjack Hotel Branding and Kula & Ko Pineapple Cakes Packaging.
Images, credits and descriptions for all 50 winners are available at winners.aigahonolulu.org. The biggest award winners were Wall-to-Wall Studios with 11 winning projects, Honolulu Magazine with 7 winning projects, and Sae Design (Maui) with 6 winning projects.
AIGA Honolulu also recognizes student work as part of the competition and the three winners from this part of the competition were Colleen Lochabay of KCC, Nicholas Lum of UH, and a UH group project by Geoffrey Siu, Addison Carroll and Joelyn Dalit.
With 70 chapters and more than 25,000 members AIGA advances design as a professional craft, strategic advantage, and vital cultural force. We work to enhance the value and deepen the impact of design across all disciplines on business, society, and our collective future.
DESIGN & LOCAL BUSINESS
AIGA Honolulu supports the local graphic design community by showcasing the value of the design. Graphic Design is no longer surface-level decoration of materials, but a critical component of business strategy. The Design Value Index, a national study by the Design Management Institute, found that “…over the last 10 years, design-led companies have maintained significant stock market advantage, outperforming the S&P by an extraordinary 211%.” AIGA Honolulu seeks to be a resource that connects local businesses with talented local designers, ultimately strengthening the local economy.
ABOUT the 5-O SHOW
AIGA Honolulu’s Hawaii’s 5-0 Competition and Awards Show is a biennial event symbolizing excellence in for design in the State of Hawaii. Since the inaugural event in 2001, the 5-O has recognized strategic and innovative local design, and celebrated the creative expertise that designers contribute to the business community. Hawaii’s 5-O invites designers from across the State of Hawaii to submit their best works, but only fifty entries will win this prestigious honor.
Major sponsors of AIGA Honolulu’s 10th Hawaii’s 5-0 Competition and Awards Show are Electric Pencil, Hawaii Business Magazine, Honolulu Magazine, Prince Waikiki, and SAE Design. For additional event details, visit aigahonolulu.org/50.
COMPLETE LIST OF WINNERS:
Entrant: 26 Keys Creative
- Consolidated Theatres Show Parade
Entrant: Alex Kawamoto
- Hilo EP Tracklist Animations
Entrant: Anthology Marketing Group
Entrant: BLKCORAL and Pass the Projects
- Honolulu Coffee Experience Center Exhibiton
Entrant: Clarence Lee Design
- AIGA Honolulu – 2015 Hawaii 5-O Collateral
- HISLEA Aloha Desk – Branding Space
- Sun Noodle – Package Design
Entrant: Graphic House
- Hawai‘i Police Department Police Memorial
Entrant: Hawaii Business magazine
- Who We Are – July 2016 Hawaii Business magazine Feature
- Underground Economy – June 2017 Hawaii Business magazine Feature
- High-End High Rise – September 2016 Hawaii Business magazine Feature
Entrant: HONOLULU Magazine
- Cats vs. Birds (And Everyone Else)
- Cheap Eats
- Farm Fresh
- HONOLULU Fashion Week 2015: A Retrospective
- Insiders’ Guide to Chinatown
- Into the Woods
- Vegan Dates Hunter
- Mark & Chris Wedding Suite
Entrant: Kapiolani Community College
- National Parks Service Web Short Ad
Entrant: Matt Tapia
Entrant: Middle Management, A Branding Co.
- Aloha Green Branding
- Kroc Center Gymnasium Graphics
- Moku Kitchen Brand Identity (TOP 5)
- Montclair Film Rebrand
Entrant: Nella Media Group
- Living for Halekulani: Issue 9.2
- Honolulu Biennial 2017: Middle of Now | Here (TOP 5)
- FLUX Hawaii: Sacred Spaces (TOP 5)
Entrant: Onward Creative
- 2015 AIGA Design Week Poster/Mailer
- Ward Village Directory
Entrant: Sae Design
- The Last Harvest
- Off Kuhio, On Point.
- The Hideaway
- Breaking Bread
- Psychic Design
Entrant: SuperFine Design
- SuperFine Design Business Cards
Entrant: Vince Soliven
- Yoni Steam Honolulu – Logo
- Hawaii Skin Diver Issue 70
Entrant: Wall-to-Wall Studios
- Bar Leather Apron – Integrated Branding
- Bethel Union – Integrated Branding
- Biki – Integrated Branding
- Hallowbaloo Website
- Hawaii Community Foundation – Centennial Campaign
- Civil Beat – Integrated Branding
- Civil Beat – Outdoor Floor Maze
- Kula & Ko – Packaging Design (TOP 5)
- Outrigger Hotels: “Cheers” Campaign
- Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club – Website
- Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club – Integrated Brand Campaign (TOP 5)